Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.
Many of us find ourselves at a crossroad in our life, when we ask ourselves: is this really what I want and should do with my life?Society dictates us what is the right way to go through life and tries to inoculate the perfect recipe: grow up, go to school, get some diplomas and start working hard, pay taxes, borrow money just to pay them ten times back, get married and have kids that can perpetuate this killer of dreams system.
Most of us used to have dreams, beautiful, uplifting and flashy childhood dreams. Remember the time when you had an answer to the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” But somewhere on the road you got lost.
Maybe you lost your dreams, or you just stopped believing in them, or maybe they weren’t powerful enough to guide you through life until you reached the adult age. And here you are now: a grown up with a job that you most probably hate. You hate every morning when you have to wake up, get out of bed and go to work.
And there, at work, you just sit, dormant, mechanically doing what you need to do, without even thinking, just waiting for the working hours to pass so you can start living your life, as much as you have left of it.
Most of your existence consists in waiting: for 18.00 p.m., for better days like Saturday and Sunday, or for your short runaways in your very few and precious vacation days. But how about considering a crazy new idea, a new dream to follow on?If you are thinking about a new career path for yourself and you want to make a change, but you are afraid and you don’t know how to approach this life challenge, then most important thing you have to acknowledge is that you have to get well organized.
Get busy and keep in mind these next steps that you should follow in order to change your career in a smart and systematical way:
1. Take some time to seriously think about your options. Consider all the things that you could be able to do, analyze your skills and your training in other activity fields.
2. Make a short list of two or three with the ones above and in the first instance, start practicing them as hobbies, for a while.
3. After some time, decide on only one thing from the short list that you want to do for a living.
4. Analyze what you need to do in order to be able to live from your new profession.
Maybe you need to take a course, or to get a new qualification diploma.
5. Start saving money, as much as you can. You don’t know for sure how much time it is going to pass until you will be able to live out of your new job. Keep in mind that you will be a newbie and remember that when you were on an entry level state with your current job, you weren’t making enough money.
Nobody does, at the beginning of the career.
6. Be patient. Don’t expect things to miraculously change overnight. If you want to make things right, you will have to wait to have everything in place.
7. In the meanwhile, detach yourself from the problems at work. Just keep going doing your job, so that no one can complain about your performance, so avoid wasting your energy on this.
Don’t be too involved in the situations there, just try to meet the expectations and focus on your other objective: the change of career and what you need to do in order to reach your goal.
8. When you feel like the time is right and you have everything you need to make the change, go and announce your manager that you are leaving the company, but keep calm and have a friendly attitude all the way.
It’s always good to leave one door open, just in case. You never know what’s out there and what is yet to come for you.
These are eight steps to change your career path in case you are looking for the organized way to do that and you want to try and minimize the risks, and avoid for example situations where you don’t have a job anymore and an income and you don’t know where your next meal is going to come from, or how your next bills are going to be paid.
It is not the shortest way to do this, but it may be the safest way to get where you want. So just try to find your lost dreams or new dreams and this time, don’t stop chasing them. Because getting to do something you really like, may be one of the most fulfilling things in your life. You don’t even realize how much happier you can be.
If you are one of those people who would like to do something else for a living, what would that be? Make a short list right now and perhaps share it with us in the commenting section below.